James Houston knows a thing or two about style. The New York-based photographer has shot some of the world’s most stylish subjects, from Christy Turlington to Anja Rubik, not to mention a whole portfolio’s worth of celebrities. Now promoting his new book, “Natural Beauty”, Houston is using his eye for style to contribute to a greater cause, by raising awareness for the environment and sustainable living through supporting initiatives like Global Green USA.
We love the work that Houston is doing – and the meaningful intent behind each of his projects – and we thought he’d be the perfect subject for our exclusive online series about “Things That Never Go Out of Style.” Here is what made his “Top Ten: list:
1. Miles Davis – My favorite Saturday morning playlist
2. Haagen Dazs chocolate ice cream – Hey if you are going to eat ice cream might as well be the best
3. A cashmere blanket – I love lounging around in the winter in front of a fire, and nothing feels better on your skin that a beautiful blanket
4. Black and white photos of your childhood – I framed a bunch of old black and white photos of my family and friends from when we were growing up. I love looking at them on my wall.
5. INXS – Being Australian I grew up with this incredible band and still love to hear one of their songs.
6. A great Roast Chicken – I love to cook and who doesn’t love a Sunday roast?
7. Laughter – This is one thing that never gets old and makes you feel alive. I have a bunch of very funny friends and getting together always leaves me in stitches.
8. Herb Ritts photographs – I’m not only inspired by his vision, but I’m grateful that I got the opportunity to meet the man himself.
9. Nature – I love to experience, photograph, appreciate and spend time in any natural environment.
10. Danish furniture – I love interiors and my blog, www.thehoustoneffect.com, is definitely influenced by Danish post-modern furniture.